Tilapia Meuniere

Tilapia done meuniere style.  This most French of dishes is one of my most favorite to cook and eat.


Tilapia is dredged in wondra and then pan fried.  You can't be afraid to let it go a little brown; that's when you really get great flavor.

The sauce is a lemon butter sauce with capers.  I have to be honest I went most of my life disliking capers after I tried them when I was young and had a bad experience.  However, after hearing my brother go on-and-on about them I thought I would give them another shot.  Turns out, I really like them; I guess it's one of those taste you have to grow into.

The sauce is made by reducing white wine (or Vermouth) in a pan until the volume is half.  Then add capers and lemon juice and let simmer for about a minute.  Finally, whisk in softened butter (use good quality) until the sauce is emulsified and smooth.  I would love to give you more exact directions but it's really something I've learned to do by feel.  If your looking for measurements I would recommend Julia's book; like I said this is truly classic french.


The Tilapia was accompanied by roasted Brussel sprouts.  These were simply tossed with oil, salt and pepper and roasted until soft and brown.  These turned out great and I'm planning to create a roast brussel sprout salad that I will detail later.

No comments: